Final Thoughts

In our second-to-last class, we discussed what an average person’s timeline of life would look like and what someone would feel at various points in their life. While this is virtually impossible – everyone has different experiences and any two lives can be completely different – I thought the class did an admirable job trying to sketch out “the average life” while we then discussed and talked about all the way in which “the average life” does not exist. I would like to look at this, however, from a more narrow point of view, one that magnifies the average life for a smaller group.

For example, if you have issues with mental health, the “average life” argument goes out the window. Your “average life” is lived 15 minutes at a time, with little accomplishments like waking up and eating breakfast celebrated with similar excitement as graduating high school or college. I know because I’ve been there, and I do not wish to go into further detail. That being said, this and other issues can warp and alter someone’s sense of time permanently. Also, for many of us, the traditional lifespan is something that we would rather not think about; at least this is true in my life. I’m trying to get through today, and when your mindset is this fixed, it’s hard to think past that day.

That being said, it’s interesting to sit down and map out how someone feels at various points in their life. At this point, most of us are feeling anger and anxiety towards a system that has us stressed out and begging for answers. However, for most of us, emotions are not static, and we have the same capacity to feel good emotions as bad. We don’t have to be stuck in a certain state if we don’t want to; ultimately, how we feel should come from inside of us and not external sources.