Time with Loved Ones

Today, 14 February, is Valentine’s Day. While Valentine’s Day is marketed at a romantic holiday, I think its important to take time to celebrate all those whom we love including family and friends. An important part of my life is spending time with the people I love. After a busy day or a stressful week, I find that taking time (even a small amount) to unwind with friends gives me a sense of relaxation that I could not find on my own. While many find peace in solitude (which I utilize as well), I truly value both adventures and homey nights with loved ones.

As a sort of project, I sent out a google form to my teammates, friends, and family asking them the simple command: Tell me about a time you were in love. I received varied responses, ranging from a single word or phrase to a brief paragraphs. I told my loved ones that they could be as formal or informal as they wished and that they could speak not only about significant others, but also about family and friends. I wanted to see if (like we’ve been talking about in class) they would focus on the feeling of love, rather than the actual “timing” of the event. Ultimately, I found that those I spoke to in person about the project focused on the actual time, while those I simply send the link to talked about the emotions involved.

Here are some of my favorite responses:

1. Uh… The only time I think I’ve actually been “in love” is with my high school boyfriend. We were together for two years and it was great… stereotypical “young love,” but when we went to college we ended up breaking up.
  2. I’m in love now. My and boyfriend have been together for two years and I think we kinda established it maybe three months into dating.
  3. Too brief
  4. I’m not sure I’ve ever been “in love.” I love my friends and my family, but honestly I have to disagree with you. I think you can love your friends and family, but I don’t think you can be “in love” with someone in a non-romantic way.

I found most responses interesting because, regardless of intentions, most people acknowledged time in some sense. The first response recognizes the transience of some forms of love and even states the duration of the relationship (two years). Again, the second person states that she is in love “now” and that she has been for roughly “two years.” The third is a kind of lament for the duration of his love, wishing for more time in the future. I’m honestly not sure what I wanted to accomplish with the google form; however, I think it gives us good insights into how the human mind responds to emotions and time.