Biological vs Mechanical Time and Resolutions

On the first of every month, I like to set aside time to reflect on what has happened in the prior month and set some intentions and goals for the next month. I have always been a big fan of resolutions (especially new year’s) and I try my very best to stick to them. Just before the new year, I was talking to one of my aunts about new year’s resolutions and she told me that she likes thinking of her resolution restarting every Monday.  So, within a span of a week, she will try to maintain her resolution. If she missteps one week, she absolves herself of this guilt by starting with a clean slate for the next week.  By looking at it this way, the pressure and guilt of trying to keep a new habit up for a whole year lessens.  I thought this was a really interesting take on the concept of a new year’s resolution.

On a different note, I was really interested in our class conversation of biological and mechanical time on Monday. When Professor Gribetz first asked us which time we would prefer to live by, I immediately decided on biological time. I think that it would be really nice to structure our schedules depending on what our bodies are telling us.  In really busy weeks, when I find my routine to be falling apart and I am over-tired and rushing, I am always conscious of the strain that I am putting on my body.  I am grateful to be in good health and am aware that we are each only given one body to last us a lifetime.  I think that if I could solely follow biological time, my body would thank me for it.  But, I know how much I rely on the structure that I get from mechanical time, which is something that would be hard to give up.  

I recognize that my cognizance of the changing weeks and months helps me to structure each aspect of my life and allows me a schedule and routine.  But, although this stability and structure is comforting in a sense, it can also feel restrictive, which is why biological time seems so appealing to me.  I guess, overall, I value the structure that mechanical time gives me and how I can use it to define goals and habits for me. But, I sense that it would probably be better for my overall health and happiness to follow only biological time. Although the free-falling effect of the lack of structure would probably scare me for a bit, I think that I would grow to enjoy biological time.